2 Roads Diverged is about two travelers who take the same road but see it through different eyes. We’re empty nesters who travel frequently. Steve’s job and some outside consulting take him across the United States and occasionally beyond. Mimi’s a writer who frequently accompanies him and suggests side trips or takes them on her own while Steve is working.
On a trip to Europe a couple years ago, our middle son and his wife each kept separate journals daily and then compared notes, each getting to re-experience the day through the eyes of the companion. Our son suggested we might do the same as a blog. We’re not sure why we are following a son’s suggestion. Really, how often did any of our kids follow ours?
When possible, we’ll try to each write a post each evening of the trip. Our travels are sporadic and the blog will be, too. The tales we tell are factual, except where our roads diverge. In those cases, you’ll just have to pick which one of us to believe.
This blog is a secondary writing pursuit for each of us. Mimi is the author of the novel Gathering String, blogs at Ruby Eyed Fox and tweets as @mimijohnson. Steve blogs at The Buttry Diary and Hated Yankees and tweets as @stevebuttry.
We’ve written about our travel before:
- Mimi (link is no longer available) and Steve both blogged about our 2009 trip to Siberia.
- Steve wrote about chasing the perfect sunset, whale-watching cruises and another sunset (don’t get Steve started on sunsets).
- Mimi recounted a cross-country car trip with her sister, Carol.
- Steve tweeted and then Storified about a fatal accident on a train he was riding.
- Mimi blogged about visiting the shipsmith shop in Mystic, Conn.
- Steve usually blogs about the news business, but he stretches metaphors from travel (such as pay phones and fish tacos) to make points about the news business. He has whined about losing his iPhone to a rogue wave at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, boasted about visiting the room behind the scoreboard at Coors Field and grew reflective about finally giving up his map collection. He has even blogged about not traveling as much as Twitter said he did.
- Steve blogged about our plans for day trips in Eastern Iowa, back when we lived there (we actually followed some of the suggestions).
- Steve has blogged about lousy customer service from Expedia and airlines. He tweets and even blogs about airline delays. Watch out, that may come up here someday.